28 September 2015

The Darkest Touch by Gena Showalter

Hey everyone,


I adore Gena Showalters Lord of the Underworld series and have always had a tiny soft spot for Torin. None of which explains why it has taken me so long to read The Darkest Touch, but Im reading it now and thats the important thing!

The book:

Fierce immortal warrior. Host to the demon of Disease. Torin’s every touch causes sickness and death—and a worldwide plague. Carnal pleasure is utterly forbidden, and though he has always overcome temptation with an iron will, his control is about to shatter.

She is Keeley Cael. The Red Queen. When the powerful beauty with shocking vulnerabilities escapes from a centuries-long imprisonment, the desire that simmers between her and Torin is scorching. His touch could mean the end for her, but resisting her is the hardest battle he’s ever fought—and the only battle he fears he can’t win. 

My thoughts:


I never realised how funny Torin was before this book. It felt like his character came alive; he wasnt just the tormented one who couldnt touch anyone. I mean I basically fell in love with Torin because he was the tortured one unable to touch anyone, but in this book I learnt he was so much more. He has a wonderful sense of humour, he can be selfish, is often impulsive and nearly always protective of those he loves.

Princess, your temper tantrums make you as defective as an open-ended condom.

Now I also loved Keeley or The Red Queen. Again she was fun, impulsive, slightly vulnerable, a tiny bit damaged and protective of those she loves. Also she never, ever let anyone treat Torin as lesser due to his demon, sure if he touches someone he could start the plague but that doesn’t mean he should be banished to the side-lines in Keeley’s books. For me this is crucial to Torin and Keeley’s relationship because Keeley is able to look pass disease and just see Torin. Whereas everyone else, even the other Lords see disease first and their friend (and fellow warrior) Torin second.


With Torin stretched over her, his weight pinning her down, his heat and scent surrounding her, she was utterly consumed with pleasure. It saturated her bones, submerged her mind, tickled her every cell. She was alive with decadent sensation.

I thought the chemistry between Torin and Keeley was back to Gena Showalter’s old form; despite not being able to touch each other these two were fairly imaginative, if you catch my drift. As with any Lords of the Underworld novel I devoured this book and thoroughly enjoyed every second. Yet I do have two or three slight niggles. Firstly although I loved Keeley I didn’t like how Gena Showalter kept emphasising how she was the baddest, most evil heroine EVER.

Pickup line... pickup line... she racked her brain until she found an explanation and brightened. "Mine would be—roses are red, violets are blue, if you don't do what I say I will kill you.” 

Secondly I really liked the interactions between Cameo and Lazarus, but the Baden and Pandora scenes bored me a little bit. I’m all for introducing new characters (Hades was a highlight) and aspects of the amazing universe Gena Showalter has created, but it'd be nice if all the Lords received their HEA first. Finally, William and Gilly, while I really really ship them, could we keep the creeping staring to a minimum until she’s eighteen? Please. So overall I loved it, but just those few little niggles brought it down to a very high four stars for me!

My rating:
Happy reading everyone and see you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment