30 November 2014

Roomies by Lindy Zart

Hey everyone,


I hope you’ve all been enjoying the black Friday weekend, I know the UK has embraced it in a big way this year! Luckily for us bookworms lots of books were also on offer this weekend and one such book that I found was Roomies by Linday Zart. To be honest I brought this book almost entirely for the cover, I love it and think it works perfectly for a contemporary romance book.

The book:



Graham Malone is my roommate, my personal eye candy, the reason I get up in the morning smiling (that could be from the illicit dreams I have about him too, I suppose. Let's move on.). He's also beautiful to look at, but his heart is where his true beauty lies. Take away the exterior and the interior still shines. 

I love him. I mean, I'm pretty sure I do, having never been in love before. Anyway, it seems legit. 

And now his brother Blake is here, and, well, he's the complete opposite of Graham. Sarcastic, brooding, and totally available. But he's leaving soon, and Graham's the one I want. I shouldn't have to remind myself of this, right? I wouldn't have to if Blake would quit looking at me like I'm something yummy and he's starving. 

Here's a toast to roomies; the ones you should never fall in love with. Or something.

My thoughts:

I’m finding Roomies a tricky book to review; probably because I have conflicted feelings about it. Some parts of it of I loved, for example Kennedy’s crazy, unique, wonderful personality. She was a mess and she didn’t always say or do the right thing. She had insecurities without having an insanely dark past. Her humour and inner monologue was for the most part very amusing. Her voice was unique and her personality best described as quirky.

'I will not live with someone who throws toast at me in anger,' I announce, setting my untouched cup of coffee on the counter.

I loved Blake with his brooding tortured image and past. He was sexy, slightly dangerous but inside a complete sweetheart. Graham was a genuine nice guy, he tidied, he baked, he looked after the heroine, he was the guy you’d bring home to meet the parents. So as you can see I liked all the main characters for their own reasons. To me they all had clear voices and personalities, meaning they didn’t all merge together.

The problem I had with this book and to be honest having re-read the blurb I should have many realised this, was the love-triangle that happened between Blake, Kennedy and Graham. I know a few years ago love triangles were all the rage but I’ve never been a huge fan. Yes they are angst ridden, which I love, but they can also drag on and on as the hero or heroine (although to be fair it is often one woman and two men) deliberates and struggles to choose between two perfectly good options!

Time does not define emotion. And I cannot imagine my life without him, no matter how far into the future I look. I inhale deeply. That is a terrifying thought.

To me it seemed fairly obvious who Kennedy would end up with, although personally I would have gone with the other brother, but each to their own and can understand why Lindy Zart chose the pairing she did. Having said that some of the writing was extremely thoughtful and heartwarming. I loved the relationships Kennedy had with both Blake and Graham. Although this wasn’t the perfect book for me I can see a lot of people enjoying it. Roomies is a great contemporary romance for those who like love-triangles with a touch of crazy sauce.

My rating:
Happy reading (and shopping) and see you next time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment