22 March 2015

Axel’s Pup by Kim Dare

Hey everyone,


Lots has happened since we last spoke, firstly I’ve started a Youtube channel... I know I could be insane but after months of searching for a Youtube channel dedicated to romance books and not finding one I decided to start my own. Don’t worry though I will still be blogging just a regularly. The Youtube channel is merely an extension of this blog.

The other exciting thing that has happened is I got my hands on Kim Dare’s latest book Axel’s Pup and became completely obsessed with it. To the point I cancelled seeing a friend yesterday just so I could finish it... Clearly my priority are completely messed up.

The book:


As the landlord of The Dragon’s Lair and leader of The Black Dragons Motorcycle Club, Axel Carmichael has seen it all and done it all. He’s a respected and experienced dom. Nothing shocks him any more, and nobody catches him off guard.


When Bayden rides up to The Dragon’s Lair on a bike worth more than most men earn in a year, and immediately demonstrates that he has far more attitude than sense, it’s easy for Axel to write him off as a silly little rich boy who’s about to get himself killed.


But, there’s more to Bayden than meets the eye. He’s no silly little boy, rich or otherwise, and werewolves aren’t easy to kill.

My thoughts:

Set in an alternative world where wolves and humans have known about each other for centuries Axels Pup is a romance about the joining of two different cultures.


Wolves are treated as second-class citizens both legally and by the majority of the human public, because of this Bayden is understandably wary about trusting humans. I loved how Kim Dare interwove the cultural difference of humans and wolves with the relationship between a Dominant and a Submissive. Yes this book is about BDSM so if that isn’t you’re thing I would suggest you read a different book, and probably a different author.


‘I’ve watched all your bets. I’ve seen you fight and get screwed. I’ve watched you take a whipping and obey another man’s orders. I’ve never seen you submit to anyone’.

Before Bayden met Axel he made money through fighting and screwing humans. Taking almost any bet offered to him, whether that be a blow job or an hour with no limits. Due to this he has an extremely warped view of what humans consider submission. He believes being a good human submissive involves dealing with high levels of pain without complaint.

For the majority of Axel and Bayden’s relationship, Axel is focused on teaching Bayden what being a submissive truly means to him. Part that involved learning how wolves viewed dominance and submission. In wolf culture being a submissive means doing anything and everything to make your dominant happy. The concept of limits, rules, penance and punishment are completely alien to Bayden. So is the idea of having a long-term D/s relationship because wolves are forbidden from forming packs.


‘Submission meant respecting the more dominant man and letting him have his own way, but in those minutes, Bayden had never found it harder to let that happen, to offer someone so little, to just kneel there and let someone believe he was capable of so little’.

Axel is looking for a lifestyle submissive, he wants to be with someone he can trust, protect and look after. Kim Dare has created such an interesting world, one full of history and politics. Bayden and Axel have completely different world views, informed by their species and upbringings, despite the fact they grew up in the same town.

This is a slow burner of a book, which I personally loved. All the focus is on character development, particularly Bayden who goes through a lot during the course of Axel’s Pup. I loved the world, the dragons (who aren’t actual dragons but instead a biker group) and the two leads characters can’t wait for from this series.

My rating:
Happy reading everyone and see you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment