16 December 2014

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies - The Romance

Hey everyone,

Yesterday I went to see The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies and it was potentially the best film I have seen this year. I loved it! Although this is hardly a surprise as I am a huge Lord of Rings and The Hobbit fan. I loved it so much I decided why not write a post about The Hobbit and the romance within it.

WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS FROM DoS & BotFA

Also before I start, if you haven’t guessed I will be focusing on the romance elements present in Battle of the Five Armies. I loved the film for lots and lots of reasons but for this post I am merely focusing on this element. If you didn’t like the romantic additions to the film feel free to stop reading here.

Now we all know that Peter Jackson made quite a few changes to The Hobbit story, one of these being the romance between Kili and Tauriel. Now I know some people will have hated this, others will have been indifferent and then others, like me, will have LOVED these two in The Hobbit Desolation of Smaug. From witnessing the Jail scene in DoS I was shipping these two, I wanted them to get together and have Dwelf babies. I mean just look at face, even by this point he was clearly in love.


So knowing the changes Peter Jackson had already made I was hopeful that Dwelf babies, or at least the possibility of them would happen in The Hobbit Battle of the Five Armies. I mean why add this romance plot just to take it away again?

At the beginning of The Battle of the Five Armies I was so happy and hopeful for these two. Kili was his typical cheeky  Dwarf self, provoking and teasing Tauriel to drop her arguably aloof and cold Elfish exterior. The scene at the lake was so sweet, particularly when he spoke (I assume) Dwarfish to her even though she didn’t understand it. I think this was my favourite Kili and Tauriel scene in the movie; but it was also the one that highlighted all the problems facing this couple.

They come from different races and as such have an obligation to their friends and family, especially during this turbulent time in the history of Middle Earth. Throughout the movie though they were working to get together, looking out for each other and just generally acting like a couple in love. If you want to know all the reasons why you should ship this couple just check out this Video on Youtube it basically says everything I would say. 

Now I won’t say exactly what happens in the end, but lets just say this is not a couple with a HEA. I’ll admit it, I cried in the cinema, I cried when I got home and realised that was it for my dreams of Dwelf babies. Tauriel is feeling my pain, or am I feeling hers?!




I would love to quote some of Kili’s or Tauriel’s lines from the third Hobbit movie but I won’t a) for copyright reasons, b) I’ll probably mis-quote and c) I don’t want to spoil it anymore than I have too. What I will say, however, is Tauriel’s last scene was beautiful. I loved it and hated it in equal measure.


This is perhaps the only aspect of The Battle of Five Armies that left me unsatisfied and after crying like a moron in my bed I decided to turn to the world of Fanfiction to find Kili’s and Tauriel’s HEA. I don’t want to get into the debate of whether Fanfiction is good or bad so instead I will simply offer my favourite Kili and Tauriel stories for you peruse along with the writers descriptions:


Auburn Fire by Durinsboys

Takes place immediately after Desolation of Smaug. Kili and Tauriel set during The Battle of the Five Armies. 

Post BotFA, eveyone lives. This is the story of Fili and his second chance to find love and peace in his family after experiencing some personal tragedies. Fili and Sigrid's paths keep crossing until they finally decide to take the friendship fate has offered and let it grow. A happy, fluffy story with some angst. Fili/Sigrid and Kili/Tauriel

You Are Mine To Keep Warm by DistrictHeathedene

Tauriel is convinced she's not ready for love, but it sprung up on her. Worse than that, what if the one she came to love was a dwarf? Fluffy romantic type stuff. If no one had died in the battle of the five armies. Tauriel and Kili's relationship starting from just before they meet to their life after the battle.

Sometimes it is in times of great despair that we realize what we truly want and that we find the strength to create something new." Kíli fell silent for a moment. Then he smiled at Tauriel. "Sometimes, my mother really has a way with words." - Story follows Kíli and Tauriel after DoS. What will become of the bond that they have formed? 

Now I did only ship Kili and Tauriel from The Hobbit, however, I know people also ship Bilbo and Thorin. Obviously there weren’t any romantic scenes between these two, Peter Jackson, wasn’t going to change the book that much. Having said that I do think any shippers of these two will be quite happy with a lot of the scenes in the movie. When Bilbo leaves the Dwarf to return to the Shire it was pretty moving in my opinion!

Hope you guys liked this type of post. If you did like the post leave a comment or if you disagree with anything I’ve said leave a polite comment, either way I’ll reply.

Happy watching everyone and see you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment