20 April 2015

Fire At Twilight by Lila Ashe

Hey everyone,


Firstly what is with all the firefighter books in my life at the moment? Seriously it feels like they are popping up all over the place! Crazy times. Secondly my feelings for Fire At Twilight are leaning towards the ‘meh... it was book’ so I apologise for what is about to happen.

The book:


Grace is a fixer. She's good at it, too. In her acupuncture practice, she fixes the community of Darling Bay, and in her personal life, she's rescued her sister too many times to count. Her love life, though . . . Grace doesn't think she needs help, especially not from a man whose very nickname is unhealthy. 


Tox Ellis is the hazmat expert at the Darling Bay Fire Department, and he knows about harmful substances. He knows what gases to keep apart to prevent explosions. Why, then, can't he seem to stay away from Grace, the woman who seems to think he needs fixing? 

Is Darling Bay ready for the chemical reaction Grace and Tox generate whenever they're in the same place at the same time? And who will be standing by to put out the flames?

My thoughts:

I think my biggest gripe with Fire At Twilight and the reason I struggled to enjoy this sweet contemporary romance is that the hero and heroine go on ONE DATE in the entire book. They really have very few interactions before declaring their love. I mean come on Lila Ashe I understand that you need the characters to fall in love quickly because its a short book but surely they deserve more than one date and a few short moments alone? I can’t feel any emotion for a couple if I never see them spend much time together.

Me, neither. She didn’t say it. There was a pause. Grace considered filling it, but she was thrown. Everything about this man threw her. His casual god looks, his confidence, his jokes. The way she wanted desperately to brush against him.”

Also I found the heroine Grace seriously irritating. Her obsession with healthy eating, exercise, spiritualism and ‘fixing’ people just grated on me. I didn’t understand why she felt the need to tell everyone what to do all the time and don’t even get me started on the balloon scene. That was completely ridiculous and over-top. It felt like the author had just included it to hammer home the point that Grace was a control freak. That is not something I needed reinforcing. For me the only thing that slightly saved the heroine was the fact she acknowledged her flaw and even made attempts to change by the end of the novel.

Up the driveway, through the open garage door, Tox saw Grace.
Pulling a wagon.
He felt like rubbing his eyes, but he knew what he saw.
It was the ice cream she was pulling behind her he didnt quite believe.

Tox was a slightly better character but similarly his major character flaw felt to forced to be real. The whole ‘Angel of Death’ sideline could have been an extremely interesting aspect to Tox's character but it felt rushed, underdeveloped and to obvious for me to truly be interested in it. With this dislike of the two main characters I honestly wasn’t excited to read Fire At Twilight, but I did finish it so I suppose that is some kind of achievement?!

My rating:
Happy reading everyone and see you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment